Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Just A Beginning...

 I don't write very often, but ever since I was little I've thought it'd be awesome to be a writer. However, I always had a really hard time writing, so I never really thought I would. Also, it's easy for me to think of a beginning, but I have lots of trouble thinking of how to end stories. Anyway, a little while ago I saw this photo on Pinterest and was soon struck with story inspiration. I've been writing it for about a week (just a little at a time, when I have a few minutes) and I thought I'd share it with you all and see what you think.

"Excuse me, have any new books come in?"
The librarian lifted her gaze from the computer screen before her, revealing a young, but careworn, face. Her red hair was in a thick braid part-way down her back, ending in a mass of curls, and her hazel eyes looked kindly at Eliza as she replied,
"I believe we just got some in yesterday, but they haven't been sorted yet."
Seeing the girl's disappointed face, she added,
"However, you may look through them, if you'd like"
"Oh yes, please!"
Eliza smiled. She came here often, at least twice a week, to check for new books, and to peruse her old favorites. Called a bookworm by her friends, Eliza truly was just that; she had sailed on the Dawn Treader, fought alongside Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli, and laughed with Anne Shirley. There was no good imaginary world she had not gone to. 
"Here are the books"
The librarian walked over, carrying a large bin. 
"It's my belief that there is something worth searching for in here, if you only take the time to look. Have fun!"
The librarian turned to go. 
"Thank you, Miss -"
"Ray; Charlotte Ray. But all my friends call me Lottie"
Eliza stared in amazement as Lottie walked away, lost in a sea of thought; then jumped as a familiar voice startled her out of her reverie. 
"So, did you find anything you liked?"
Turning, Eliza saw a girl about her age with short blonde hair and glasses. She was wearing khaki shorts, an orange camp tee, and old flip flops. Slung around her neck was a large camera. The two friends had walked together to the library, one to read, the other to take photos. 
"Cass! You scared me!" 
Eliza said, brushing her long hair out of her eyes. 
"Lost in another world, again?" Cass laughed. 
"I suppose you could say that. Have you ever seen that librarian before?"
"Seeing as you're the one that comes every week it's rather silly to ask; but, no I haven't"
"Me neither. I think-" she paused, "I'm almost certain that when she turned away there was a slight twinkle in her eye; but I must have imagined it"
"Yeah, that does seem pretty unlikely. Anyway, did you find anything to read?"
Eliza glanced at the assortment of books beside her. 
"Not yet. These are books that just came in, and Lottie said I could look through them."
"Lottie?" Cass queried. 
"The librarian. Come to think of it, she also said something about a book worth searching for, or the like."
Cass flopped down beside Eliza, "Well, what are we waiting for? Lets find it!"
Eagerly, the two friends began pulling out books and glancing at the covers. While searching, Cass kept them lively with her sarcastic comments,
"'Six Proven Methods For Debugging Your Yard' ah, yes, that peaks my curiosity" more scrambled searching, then, "Oh, listen to this clever title! 'What You're Doing Wrong'" Cass assumed a dull, deep voice, "Number one, reading this book!" Smothering giggles, the girls continued their search, Cass soon becoming bored and began perusing a cookbook with more photos than recipes. 
"Cass, take a look at this!" 
"Mmhmm?" Cass murmured, fully immersed in a delicious recipe for a 'Out of This World Gooey Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting'. 
"I think I found it! The book that Lottie was talking about!"
Jolted back to reality, Cass immediately replied,
"Really? What's it called?"
"Idlewild"
Eliza said softly, with a sort of reverence that sent shivers down Cass' spine. On lifting the cover she added,
"It's full of some kind of dust! It must be very old."
"Wow." Breathed Cass. "I have an idea! Hold the book open in front of you, like that, and blow when I say to. I'm hoping that the dust will show up in the sunlight."
Eliza complied without a word. She was well accustomed to Cass' sudden bursts of photo inspiration.  
"How does this look?" Eliza queried, smoothing her hot pink dress over her crossed legs. 
"Perfect" Cass knelt down on one knee and lifted the camera to her face. "Are you ready?" 
Eliza nodded. 
"Alright, blow!"
As soon as Eliza commenced blowing, fine dust filled the general area, causing both girls to collapse in fits of sneezing that lasted several minutes.  On recovering her breath, Eliza looked up to see Cass staring at her with an expression that could only be described as a mixture of astonishment and fear. 
"Eliza, where are we?"
Eliza looked about herself; they were definitely no longer in the library. Whispering, she replied,
"I don't know"

So, what do you think? Please comment with your input! I hope to actually finish this story someday. :)

17 comments:

  1. I love it! <3 It was beautiful! I wish I could write like that. :)
    Xox. Kayla
    aviddream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was simply fabulous. <3 You must continue!! :D
    Really, you're a wonderful writer. Don't ever stop, okay? :)
    Oh, I loved the Narnia/LOTR reference >>♥<<.

    xxLeslie
    les-vi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much! That's really encouraging!

      Delete
  3. This was awesome, Christina!Please, keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A. Maz. Ing. That was so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much! I'm glad so many of you like it. :)

      Delete
  5. Awesome! If you ever want to write on your tablet. Search for the app Writing Spot. I love that app.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, Christina! I love your style =] Please keep writing!

    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. * jaw drops open in shock *

    This was so good! I mean like really- it's awesome!!! I was thinking about the critique group and when I saw that you joined I thought I might just take a look at your story and it is just so great!!!! I was wondering- would you maybe like to be my critique partner? I mean it's up to you. I was going to set you up with someone else but I thought that we might really enjoy doing it together =)But it's up to you. The book I'm writing is a mystery but it's set up in a "fantasy" world. So I don't really know if that's something you'd be interested in reading or not? But anyway just a thought =) Great job on your book so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh..wow. Now MY jaw has dropped! Thank you so much! This is, wow, I'm still in shock, I mean, that's so nice and unexpected!
      Yes, I would love to be your partner!! That would be awesome! That sounds like a great story, I'd love to read it! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, I just love this story, it's truly amazing! And the name Eliza is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I know you love comments, and so do I! However, keep your language clean and acceptable; thanks!