Monday, August 19, 2013

Books - A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain

As stated yesterday, I love books! I thought it would be kind of fun to post about once a week about one of my all-time favorites that I have on my list. I decided to start with A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain.

Back Cover: "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is Mark Twain's classic tale of Hank Morgan, a resident of 19th century Hartford Connecticut who is inexplicably transported to the early medieval England of King Arthur. A classic satire, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court pokes fun at the romanticized notions of chivalry and the idealization of the middle ages. A delightful and enchanting tale, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court shows Twain at his satirical best"

My Thoughts: This book...oh, man...it is so, so funny. I have read it twice and I laughed so hard while reading it. As said above, Hank Morgan is transported to medieval England, and he completely modernizes (or tries to modernize) everything about it. He starts a newspaper, he does advertising, he completely misunderstands all of their chivalry, and he makes Merlin look like a fool. All of his thoughts and opinions are just perfect (as in making the story awesome, y'know), and I would never hesitate to recommend this book to anyone, no matter what genre they prefer. 

Excerpt: "Bridgeport?" said I, pointing.
    "Camelot," said he.
    "Camelot - Camelot," said I to myself. "I don't seem to remember hearing of it before. Name of the asylum, likely."...The moment I got a chance, I slipped aside privately and touched an ancient common looking man on the shoulder and said, in an insinuating, confidential way:
   "Friend, do me a kindness. Do you belong to the asylum, or are you just on a visit or something like that?" 
   He looked me over stupidly, and said:
   "Marry, fair sir, me seemeth-"
   "That will do," I said; "I reckon you are a patient."

Bad Content: There is no content in this book that should disturb anyone (beyond slaves being beaten, but you get pretty used to that in "historical" novels). 

I think that's it. I hope you enjoyed!
Christina

2 comments:

I know you love comments, and so do I! However, keep your language clean and acceptable; thanks!